Saturday, February 6, 2016

Throwback time to my first informed experience with flipping! Youtube offers so many great videos on flipping the classroom. In a previous class we had to watch this great video on basic setup for flipping the classroom. Katie Gumbar offers various instructional videos and provides a lot of information on her youtube site. Please check out one of her many videos!

This is a great set up for videos and easy to use. I also really enjoy using screencast-o-matic. You are limited on time but flipped classroom videos should only last around 10-12 minutes. You can record as you are writing on the screen and also highlight and underline key material. I think it is great for math videos. It is also nice if you are just quickly making a video at home you do not have to be in it.

3 comments:

  1. I also discussed flipped classrooms on my blog because I enjoyed learning about it and attempting to integrate it during my last course in the program. Katie Gumbar’s videos are so helpful when deciding to try a flipped classroom integration. Using the video set up like Gumbar’s or screencasts, or even Educreations are excellent ways to incorporate flipped classrooms. Have you found that it works well with your students?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found screencasts have been the most beneficial. I like Educreations as well, but it has been easier for me with screencast-o-matic to have my premade smartfiles on my screen to go through. My students have really liked the videos. Sometimes they will even ask if I could make a video, and they go out of their way to mention they are helpful. I think they like the fact they can watch them at their own pace, and re-watch them to help them understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaitlin, I think that my opinion would be that Educreations and screencasts are definitely the way to go, especially with the younger grades. I am not a fan of flipped classroom videos being used to introduce NEW topics because I really like to teach using inquiry based learning. We do a lot of hands on activities and exploration, and that is not as realistic when doing the flipped classroom. Students cannot discuss with one-another and they do not have the hands-on activities. I do think that the flipped classroom is great for extension activities!

    ReplyDelete